The job profile of a technical manager includes:
• Creating and executing development plans so as to go well with changing requirements and needs.
• Managing the entire development lifecycle and handling technical risks which occur in the project.
• Keeping project manager updated with status of improvement effort and working as a "link" between project manager and development staff.
• Performing some code reviews and advising junior developers.
• Managing all technical resources in project schedule and budget.
• Delivering top quality services for clients.
• Conducting various performance assessments and mentoring senior as well as junior developers through informal or formal channels.
• Challenging other innovators to move towards achievement of their professional development objectives.
Furthermore, a technical manager comprehends complicated database concepts and employs various database design strategies effectively. He should also possess required knowledge of the internet and client/server architectures which shall help in understanding different browser/client oriented compatibility issues.
The Bachelor of Science (BSC) in industrial engineering and bachelors of Science (BSC) in mechanical engineering are two primary qualification standards that most of the manufacturing companies demand while choosing a technical manager.
When pursuing aforementioned degrees, a training session is conducted which is considered must for getting a better placement in any manufacturing company. Furthermore, prior industry experience does matter a lot and can help with huge promotions.
Skill set for a technical manager
Dynamic personality, good communication skills and competence of identifying the best possible solution are included primarily in the skill set of a technical manager. He may need to organize meetings with improvement team and sometimes need to deliver well organized, informative and engaging presentations; so he should be capable to answer the queries of the clients gently. When it comes to professional qualities, client management, teamwork and leadership are considered as a must have for technical managers. In case of any issue, one should be capable enough to lead the team and challenge others gently. Remaining on the front position of developing industry practices, managing innovative changes successfully, pursuing excellence and identifying different development opportunities are major activities carried out by the technical manager.
Speaking about the salary, a technical manager can earn massive amounts of cash as compared to other technical jobs. Advancement in technology has also made it more sophisticated, therefore in the past few years, the demand of technical manager jobs has been increased tremendously and it is expected to increase more in the times to come. It clearly means that more employment opportunities are there for technical managers.
So, if you are the one planning to make your career in technical managing, evaluate yourself for the required (or above given) qualifications and take lots to cash to your wallet in the process.